Elsewhere #4: Design snippets from around the world
From the latest issue of a cult interior magazine to interesting design events across the world including India, the fourth edition of Elsewhere is action-packed.
1. Photographs of real, cluttered homes and raw, intimate interviews with creatives are what set Barcelona-based Apartamento apart from any other interior magazine in the world. It is hard to believe that this cult magazine, sold in over 45 countries, was started in a tiny room a little over a decade ago. Apartamento is now out with its Spring/Summer 2019 issue.
2. With the onset of summer, cities across the globe are gearing up to host some of the world’s best design/architecture festivals. London Festival of Architecture runs between 1-30 June 2019, and is dedicated to celebrating architectural practice and experimentation. Another not-to-be-missed European event is the Barcelona Design Week between June 12 to June 19, 2019, that focuses on design, creativity and innovation.
3. Closer home, Paper Planes is hosting the second edition of Oddly Enough - a salon series that discusses the many ways in which thoughtful design coincides with our lives. Themed ‘Out in the City’, the upcoming edition will see the founder of sP + a, Sameep Padora; Ruchita Madhok, founder of Kahani Designworks/Storycity; Ayaz Basrai, co-founder of Busride Design Studio; and photographer Chirodeep Chaudhuri sharing their insights on the rapidly changing design landscape of our cities and discuss how design influences our experience of living in a city. It will take place at G5A, Mumbai on June 8, 2019.
4. On the other hand, 'Multipolis Mumbai: Illustration and the City', organised by Avid Learning, brings together graphic designer, illustrator and founder of Studio Kohl, Mira Malhotra (who also collaborates with us), graphic designer Aniruddh Mehta, and cartoonist, author and advertising creative director Cyrus Daruwala, in conversation with journalist and design writer Bindu Nair. They will discuss various aspects and mediums of illustration, its history with Mumbai, and how each creator in his/her own unique style has contributed to the ever-evolving visual aesthetic of the city and its people on June 20, 2019 at the Mumbai-based National Gallery of Modern Art.
5. For those looking at overcoming a creative block or for inspiration to strike, Forma's furniture and product designer, Priyam Doshi, recommends Austin Kleon's 'Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative'. The book, which acts as a manifesto for creativity in the digital age, urges its readers to take a step towards their creative goal by simply starting it.